2013 Windows computer rollout
What is being replaced?
- IT will replace university owned Windows desktop computers purchased during the capital process and installed during the summer of 2008
What if I want to switch to a Windows laptop, Mac laptop or an iMac?
- Tenured and Tenure track faculty will have the option to switch to a Windows laptop, Mac laptop or iMac computer at this time. If you would like to switch, please fill out the request to switch form
- Visiting faculty have the option of a Mac or Windows desktop computer only.
- Staff wishing to switch to a laptop or Mac, should consult with their supervisor
I have a computer that was purchased through startup, grant or gift fund. Will IT replace that computer?
- No. If you would like to have this computer replaced, you will need to put in a capital request through your department during the fall semester. If you have questions, please contact Nicole Adner at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she will assist you with this process.
Will we get another Dell or a different model?
- St. Lawrence is working with the New York Six consortium (Colgate, Hamilton, Hobart & William Smith, Skidmore, St. Lawrence and Union) to purchase computers so that each institution may receive deeper discounts. The NY6 has chosen Hewlett-Packard (HP) as our preferred vendor of choice.
I'll be out of town next summer, what should I do?
- Contact Nicole Adner at 229-5037 or by email email@example.com to make sure we know when you'll be around in order to schedule your computer replacement.
Do I have to be in my office for the computer to be replaced?
- Yes! This is a collaborative project between IT and the St.
Lawrence community. We want you to be there so that you can confirm that
your data is there and we can setup the computer exactly how you want
to have it.
- If you will be travelling or away from campus during this time, we
will work with you to schedule your replacement as best we can around
your schedule. Please contact Nicole Adner at firstname.lastname@example.org as time gets closer to schedule your replacement.
What happens to my old computer? Can I buy it?
- Unfortunately, no. We sell back our old equipment to the vendor in order to gain revenue and offset the replacement cost
Will I get a new monitor or keyboard and mouse?
- IT provides a monitor, keyboard and mouse with all computers
If I switch to a laptop, do I receive any other components?
- A docking station, keyboard, mouse and monitor.
- If you wish to have anything extra like a second monitor or wireless keyboard and mouse, they must be purchased out of department or other funds
How long will you keep my old computer?
- IT will store the old computers for up to a month to give you time confirm all of your data transferred to your new computer properly. We will contact you before wiping the data from your old computer.
Will you move the files and pictures from my old computer to my new computer?
- Yes, IT will move all of your data from your old computer to your new computer. This is a great time to go through your files and do a general clean up as well as make sure that important files are backed up on your P: drive or on the S: or T: drives. After replacement, tou should check to confirm that you are not missing anything right away
What if I sync my iPhone to iTunes on my computer, what do I do?
- IT will help you ensure that your iTunes and iPhone are up to date and that any information that you sync with iTunes will migrate to your new computer
What software will be transferred to my new computer?
- IT will install the standard software that you have on your current computer, such as Microsoft Office, Firefox and more.
- If you have any other software that you have downloaded or installed yourself, you need to be prepared to reinstall that software on your new computer and IT can, of course, help you with that.
Does my laptop have accidental insurance?
- IT purchases accidental warranty coverage on all Windows laptop computers. This covers events like drops, liquid spills, etc.
- Unfortunately, Apple does NOT offer any kind of accidental warranty coverage on Macs.
Will IT get me a new local printer, scanner and so on
- No. We encourage everyone to print, copy and scan from the multi-function copiers around campus.
What is IT doing to be sustainable in this new rollout?
- IT is working with vendors in the areas of energy efficient computers, sustainable packaging, bulk packaging, minimizing waste and re-use and recycling efforts. If you have any ideas that you would like to share about how IT can be more environmentally conscious during this project, please contact Steve Millington at email@example.com
New lock workstation procedure:
- IT will setup your computer to lock after a certain period of inactivity requiring you to put in your password to unlock it. This is a security need to protect the data that is on your computer or that you might have access to.