Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Protection
Anti-Virus for personal computers
You MUST remove ANY other anti-virus program before installing Microsoft Security Essentials. IT recommends Microsoft Security Essentials for student and faculty/staff personal computers which is free to install on personal computers. If you are running Windows 8, you already have Security Essentials installed and do not need to do anything further to protect yourself.
You MUST remove ANY other anti-virus program before installing McAfee Security. Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) users must allow third party applications to be installed. To access the following download you will be prompted for your network username and password.
- Download and run the McAfee installer.
- The 'Install McAfee' window will appear. Select 'Continue'
- If your Mac meets the system requirements, select 'Continue'
- Select 'Continue' and 'Agree' for license agreement.
- Select 'Macintosh HD' and 'Continue'
- Select 'Install'
- Enter your Mac username and password when prompted
- Select 'Close'
All campus email is inspected for spam, viruses and malware. Messages are handled as follows:
- Message is checked against end user and organizational blocked senders and safe senders lists
- Message is scanned and cleaned of virus and malware content
- Messages that have a high confidence level of spam content is delivered to the Junk E-Mail folder
- The highest confidence level spam is discarded
- All remaining message is delivered to the Inbox